I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Break and Happy New Year! 2017 is going to be interesting. I’m looking forward to school – please don’t hurt me. It’ll be nice to get back into a regular routine again . . . and I miss working. I haven’t really written a lot over the break. I sent “The Orb of ‘Unlimited’ Power” to four beta readers, and I’m just waiting to receive their comments and suggestions. It’s a bit nerve-racking, to be honest, knowing someone out there is reading, judging, and questioning what I’ve written. I just have to take a deep breath and remind myself that what they’re doing is going to help me to make my story better.
But seriously, how was your Christmas? Did you stay in town, go visit relatives, or go out of the country? My family and I went to our grandparent’s for the day. One favorite gift I received was this dragon iron bell. Let’s just say I can’t wait to have my own house because this will be the doorbell. Did you get anything fun or interesting for Christmas? Okay, I should probably get on with the main purpose of this post, which I am super excited about!
Chronicles of Coran is a working title until I can think of something better. I want the series title to be . . . I don’t know . . . more meaningful? How about The Coran Chronicles? I know, I shouldn’t overthink this, but I can’t help it. But here is a map of my beloved Coran! And some specific fun facts about it. Enjoy!
- Origins: The world was created by the deity Chora.
- Continents: Only two major ones, but lots of little islands. There may be a third, but no one has ventured out further into the Gloating Sea – there are rumors of sea monsters. The second continent is east across the Wailing Sea.
- Kingdoms: Alder, Caledonia, Dolvar, Frostlight, Kineallen, and Zelyndra.
- Time: Of the present (500 C.), the people of Coran have established a calendar. Each year is called a cycle, so don’t use the term year around them or they won’t know what you are talking about. There are six seasons they account for: Bloom, Seed, Harvest, Showers, Frost, and Snow. Each season is roughly three (Earth) months long.
- The Land: In the south you have a bit of dryer land between Alder and Caledonia. In the north is the Snowpack Mountains and along the eastern coast is Chora’s Chain. Just below the Snowpack Mts. is the tundra – The Flatlands. Then below the tundra is the more greener and vegetation-filled part of the continent with lush fields, forests, and woods.
- Creatures: Coran has its array of birds, insects, sea and land creatures. As for larger animals, the dragons and wyrms live in the mountains, the hornets, or what we call unicorns, live mostly in the woods. Warlens are bears with scales instead of fur that live mostly in caves they dug out. And the yelk are rather large reindeer, but with very elegant and decorative antlers. They live in the Hallowing Woods.
- Major Island(s): Southwest of Alder is an island the locals call Dragon Island. The dragons migrate from their territory by the King’s Peak every two cycles to the island and stay there from the First Bloom till the First Frost. The other larger islands are occupied by a few handful of people who wish to live a simple life and stay away from the drama and fighting from the mainland.
- Languages: Everyone speaks the same language on this continent, though everyone’s dialect is a bit different depending on where you are.
There it is! My wonderful Coran. Is there anything else you’d like to know about it that I didn’t mention? What would you like me to go into more detail about for future posts? Do you want to learn more about a specific kingdom? And I still want to know how your Christmas break went:)